Elevators and its Usages !
An elevator is a platform, either open or enclosed, used for moving people or freight vertically, from one floor to another within a building. Elevators are a standard part of any tall commercial or residential building. These days elevators are often a legal requirement in new buildings with multiple floors. All elevators are required to have communication connection to an outside 24 hour emergency service, automatic recall capability in a fire emergency, and special access for fire fighters use in a fire.
Uses of elevators
- Passenger Elevators are designed to move people between different floors of a building, their capacity being related to available floor space.
- Passenger elevators may be specialized for the service they perform, including: Hospital emergency (Code blue), front and rear entrances, double Decker, and other uses.
- Express elevators are designed to move people from ground floor to a sky lobby skipping several floors in between at a high speed.
- Wheelchair, or platform lifts, a specialized type of elevator designed to move a wheelchair 6 ft (1.8 m) or less, often can accommodate just one person in a wheelchair at a time with a maximum load of 1000 lb (455 kg).
- Freight Elevators are meant to carry heavy loads generally 2300 to 4500 kg. They usually don't comply with fire service requirements and carrying passengers is generally prohibited unless specified.
- On aircraft carriers, elevators carry aircraft between the flight deck and the hangar deck for operations or repairs. These elevators are designed for much greater capacity than any other elevator.
- A small freight elevator is often called a dumbwaiter, often used for the moving of small items such as dishes in a 2-story kitchen or books in a multi-story rack assembly. Passengers are never permitted on dumbwaiters.
- A special type of elevator is the paternoster, a constantly moving chain of boxes, generally used in industrial plants.
- Grain Elevators are used to elevate grain for storage in large vertical silos